Saturday, September 20, 2014

Arrrrgh, me matey!!! Light and flaky treasure ahead!!!


It be no coincy-dents that I be finish'n the swashbucklin' adventures of Treasure Island on Speak Like a Pirate Day, Friday September 19th. Actually it was very much a coincidence, The day I finished the novel by Robert Louis Stevenson is the day set apart in the "Colonies" as a day dedicated to Gentlemen O' Fortune.  

This was my first time reading Treasure Island, what many consider to be a timeless classic. I have to say that I agree with them. I would tell myself that I would read just one chapter before bed and then end up reading three or four. That is usually a good indicator for me that a book is entertaining. My one regret was not looking up more of the sailing terms and slang, but I was to engrossed in the story to stop. Usually I substituted "something boat realated" for terms I didn't understand. My second reading of Treasure Island will be much more investigative, "and you can lay to that!" as Long John Silver would say.

Much more to the point of this blog post is the moment in the story when Jim Hawkins, Long John Silver and the four remaining pirates make a meal of "biscuits and bacon." I love love bacon like a buccaneer loves pieces of eight. I also have a soft flaky place in my heart for southern biscuits. That's why I used Alton Brown's Southern biscuit recipe. As you can see from the picture above they turned out beautifully. I know the pirates likely ate sea biscuits or some other bland quick bread but if I am going to satisfy my reading induced hunger its going to be delicious. Arrgh!! 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is going to be a great blog! You are quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete