Saturday, October 11, 2014

Just what is a Yorkshire pudding, Harry Potter?

I love the Harry Potter books. They are fun and enjoyable to read. Harry has a hard time trusting anybody, which can be irritating but if I had spent my childhood living under a stairway and taking punches from a spoiled brat of a cousin i'd be pretty leary too. 

As much as I find Harry's hesitation annoying I find it instructive too. How often do I try to hide what I worry may come across as stupid when speaking up would make my life so much easier. Usually when I keep quiet I end up looking like an idiot anyway. 

But enough about me lets move in to the first of Harry's meals in the Great Hall which included,

Yorkshire Pudding

From The Joy of Cooking Cookbook

Stir into a bowl:
7/8 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Make a well in the center, into which pour:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water

Stir in the liquid. Beat until fluffy and add:
2 eggs

Continue to beat until large bubbles rise to the surface. Let stand covered and refrigerated at least one hour and beat again. 

Preheat oven to 400°.

Have ready a hot oven proof dish about 9 x 13", containing about 1/4 cup hot beef drippings or melted butter. Poor in the batter. It should be about 1/2 inch high. Bake the pudding 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Serve at once.

1 comment: